Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The chips & fries dilemma

Found this warning on a bag of all natural chips that came with my lunch today:

WARNING: This product contains acrylamide, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. Acrylamide is not added to this product, but is created by browning potatoes. The FDA does not recommend that people stop eating potatoes. For more information, see the FDA's website at www.fda.gov.

Wow, that was enlightening! Yet another health reason to avoid eating excessive chips & fries, huh?! Then I learned from the Wikipedia article that some chip manufacturers add an pre-cooking enzyme to prevent the acrylamide from forming. And that other foods may contain the compound, too. Fascinating! I don't think I'll cut out chocolate from my diet, though :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment